Saturday, April 30, 2011

A new light


A new light
Originally uploaded by Douglas Remington - Ethereal Light™

Along the way in my Spring Cali Road trip I found myself in Lake Tahoe. I have never been there before. There was still a lot of snow, but the sky was looking really romantic. This photo was one from original scouting scenes of the day. I really wanted to shoot the Banzai rock area. It was tough to find to say the least. To make things worse I was relying on GPS coordinates from some guy who wrote a blog how to find it with HIS "GPS coordinates." That GPS coordinate wanted to take me 18 miles away from there! Not good! Luckily, I had a back-up GPS provided by, Lisa Feidler, days before. OK, now strike two. Obviously this is not working. I had other "back-ups" however. I had my pose (Lisa Fiedler - live on google earth via my iPhone) , Little M, Rich Capture, Jim Patterson, and I think JaveFoto was helping as well - via Little M as my interpreter) on the horn helping me throughout the little escapade. Success guaranteed, right? Noper! :( I spent hours on this little adventure. I eventually figured out where it was. However, the snow was so thick, and it ate-up the only possible pulling out place within walking distance. In fact it was too dangerous to hike up the road a mile, for you were sure to get hit by one of many carefree drivers in Tahoe.


Plan 2. Eat at a local restaurant, which consisted of nasty catfish tacos that I could only stomach a couple of bites of, and then back to my original location. I got there about an hour and a half before sunset. The icy-blue sky had perfect puffy clouds dancing in her bosom, and I was certain to get my dramatic sky, right? Well, I had a homemade beer to wash the bad taste out of my mouth - and this famished northwest photographer had time to kill, uh huh! Alright fast forward an hour of home brew heaven, I got my gear ready and hiked down to the rocky shore only to see my precious clouds vanish into lake Tahoe thin air! Dammit! I thought, well, I'll just get a little closer comp and hope they come back. As I scrambled upon the snow ridden boulders I soon fell through the snow up to my little chinny chin chin! Luckily had a tripod in hand that I kept above my head and that allowed me to pull myself outta that snow drift and eventually crawl my way to my disappearing sunset resting place. I made several monochrome shots, and then waited for the sun to crest. The Remington fantasy la la land sunset never happened, so I shifted creative gears and decided on a high-key long exposure image.

We often pre-visualize what it is that we hope to get, which is good practice, but when it does not happen, we should be prepared to work in a different manner; often times we get something even better. I'm not convinced this image is better than I hoped for, but I am satisfied with it. More importantly. I am satisfied with the whole experience. If we, as photographers and artist, get tooooo - wrapped up in making the image we hoped for, we often to fail to recognize what is much MUCH BIGGER that the image itself. No image, no matter how grand it can be, will ever replace the experiences along the way of making it. If we get too serious with it, we miss the true lessons of life that are to guide us along our evolutionary journey.

~dr